Upon receiving a report, the Title IX Coordinator will reach out to the reporter and emphasize the following information:
1. The availability of support resources to both the complainant and respondent.
2. Information about pursuing an investigation through law enforcement and/or the university disciplinary process.
3. Interim support measures to protect involved parties and the safety of the university community, which might include:
- No-contact agreements between the individuals involved
- Modifying class or work schedules
- Making alternate housing arrangements
- Addressing other academic or work-related concerns (e.g., absences, assignments, grades, leaves of absence, withdrawal)
- Safety planning
Formal investigations typically occur only when a complainant decides to proceed with a formal complaint. However, under certain circumstances, such as when there is clear evidence of ongoing threat to the university community, the university may be required to act. In all cases, it is up to the involved parties whether or not to cooperate with a university investigation and disciplinary procedures.