On May 5, the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation announced its 2021 fab lab grants, totaling $635,090 for 28 school districts. Schools are able to use the funds to purchase fab lab equipment.
Districts in west-central Wisconsin that received grants included Alma Center-Humbird Merrillan, Cornell, Elk Mound, Prescott and River Falls.
The three-day workshop is designed to help train teachers to:
- Develop a fab lab curriculum
- Understand how a fab lab is used to foster multidisciplinary learning
- Learn how to use simple problems to teach age-appropriate STEAM concepts
- Consider fab lab setup, training and operation
- Learn how to challenge students to identify the problem, imagine solutions, weigh ideas, prototype and test
- Learn how the fab lab can engage with industry and community members.