Transfer Student Guides & Resources

Find transfer guides for your specific college, and answers to your frequently asked questions.
In this Section

UW Colleges Transfer Guides

Transfer advising guides are helpful documents that list the courses, grade point average, and other requirements for your intended major at UW-Stout. Select the guide below that represents your college and program, and find all the information you need to be on track when you transfer.

UW Colleges to UW-Stout
  • Apparel Design and Development | PDF
  • Applied Biochemistry and Molecular Biology | PDF
  • Applied Mathematics and Computer Science | PDF
    • Mathematics Education | PDF
  • Applied Science | PDF
  • Applied Social Science | PDF
  • Art Education | PDF
  • Business Administration | PDF
  • Career, Technical Education and Training | PDF
  • Computer Engineering | PDF
  • Computer Networking and Information Technology | PDF 
  • Computer Science | PDF
  • Construction | PDF
  • Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation | PDF
  • Dietetics | PDF
  • Digital Marketing Technology | PDF
  • Early Childhood Education | PDF
  • Engineering Technology | PDF
  • Entertainment Design
    • Animation | PDF
    • Comics and Sequential Art | PDF
    • Digital Cinema | PDF
  • Environmental Science | PDF
  • Family and Consumer Sciences Education | PDF
  • Food Science and Technology | PDF
  • Game Design and Development – Art | PDF
  • Golf Enterprise Management | PDF
  • Graphic Communications | PDF
  • Graphic Design and Interactive Media 
    • Design | PDF
    • Interactive Media | PDF
  • Health, Wellness and Fitness | PDF
  • Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management | PDF
  • Human Development and Family Studies | PDF
  • Industrial Design | PDF
  • Information and Communication Technologies | PDF
  • Interior Design | PDF
  • Management | PDF
  • Manufacturing Engineering | PDF
  • Marketing and Business Education | PDF
  • Mechanical Engineering | PDF
  • Packaging | PDF
  • Plastics Engineering | PDF
  • Professional Communication and Emerging Media | PDF
  • Psychology | PDF
  • Real Estate Property Management | PDF
  • Retail Merchandising and Management | PDF
  • Rehabilitation Services | PDF
  • Science Education | PDF
  • Special Education | PDF
  • Studio Art | PDF
  • Supply Chain Management | PDF
  • Sustainable Management | PDF
  • Technology and Science Education | PDF
  • Technology Education | PDF

Other Colleges Transfer Guides

The following are general education advising guides to assist in making decisions on what general education courses you should register for based on the major you’re interested in.

Other Colleges to UW-Stout


  • Illinois Articulation Initiative – all two-year institutions | PDF


  • Alexandria Technical College | PDF
  • Anoka-Ramsey Community College | PDF
  • Century College | PDF
  • Inver Hills Community College | PDF
  • Minneapolis Community and Technical College | PDF
  • Normandale Community College | PDF
  • Rochester Community and Technical College | PDF
  • Saint Paul College | PDF

If your school is not listed above, please refer to this general Minnesota Transfer Curriculum general education advising guide:

  • Transfer Guide for MnSCU Institutions | PDF

Transfer Resources

Math Sequence Chart

The Math Sequence Chart on-line at to determine what math course to take based on any math you may be transferring.  The Math Sequence Chart will show what math is required for the major you are interested in pursuing at UW-Stout.  Courses that transfer as MATH GXX qualify to meet requirements for any major that states At least 1 course from MATH or STAT listed at the bottom of the chart.  MATH GXX courses also serve as a prerequisite to MATH 120, 123 (with a grade of C+ or higher) and MATH 150. | PDF

Transfer FAQs

Will my credits transfer?

All college-level credits should transfer to UW-Stout in some manner. If you completed a course that was only a three-credit course but UW-Stout’s equivalent course is four credits, you will only receive credit for the number of credits you earned at your previous institution. 

For example, most institutions offer a College Algebra course that is three credits. UW-Stout’s equivalent is MATH 120 Introduction to College Math I which is a four-credit course. You’ll receive credit for our MATH 120 course, but only receive three credits because that is what you earned at your previous institution. The credit difference can be waived, but will have to be made up somewhere else in your general education coursework.

Remedial coursework, introductory courses, or orientation-related courses may not transfer unless an exact equivalent is offered at UW-Stout. This is typically only seen in an introductory math or English course.

When will I find out how my credits transfer?

It is during the Transfer Transition process that your official transfer credit evaluation is completed. At this time we'll connect you with an adviser who can help you determine which courses you should register for in your first semester at UW-Stout. 

Can I transfer to Stout after two years?

This may work for some, but not all majors. 

We advise that you become aware of the requirements for the major you’re interested in. You can access the program plan online via the Undergraduate Bulletin. Many majors also provide a four-year or eight-semester plan also accessible from the program plan listing. The four-year plan helps identify where prerequisites or sequencing of courses is key to progressing through your major in order to graduate in a timely manner.

Are there courses required for all UW-Stout students?

Yes, all of our majors require that students complete:

  • ENGL 101 Composition I
  • ENGL 102 Composition II
  • SPCOM 100 Fundamentals of Speech (public speaking)

Many schools require similar courses so students transfer them in. We do specifically require the public speaking course, however, and that is not always a requirement at other schools. We strongly recommend you take that course over an interpersonal communication course, if possible. Interpersonal Communications courses do not substitute for our Fundamentals of Speech course.

In addition, all of our majors require a math course. To find out which math course is required for the major you’re interested in, refer to the Math Sequence Chart. This chart also provides the sequencing and prerequisites of courses that may lead up to the required math course. 

All majors also require at least one four-credit natural science course with lab. Some majors require a specific natural science course. Please refer to the program plan sheet for your major area of interest, which can be found online via the Undergraduate Bulletin

Do I have to pay the application fee?

If the last school you attended or are currently attending is one of the two-year UW Colleges, you are not required to pay the application fee.

If you’re transferring from one of the four-year UW Universities, you are required to pay the application fee. 

Please refer to the UW System's Campuses page for more details.

Do I need an ACT/SAT score report?

As a transfer student we don’t require an ACT/SAT score report, but if you completed either test we recommend that you submit the information, if possible, to be included in your review. 

For some of our majors, if you scored well on your ACT/SAT, it may give you direct admission into the program. Some majors have additional requirements that might include ACT/SAT scores.

Additionally, if you’re in an education major you may be able to use your scores toward Benchmark I requirements. More information is available through the School of Education.

Do I need my high school transcripts?

We require your high school transcripts, unless you have already earned a bachelor’s degree at the time you apply.

We must verify that you completed secondary school. If you didn’t graduate from high school, but completed a GED/HSED, we need a copy of your Score Report or a transcript verifying you successfully completed secondary school.

What transcripts do I need to submit?

We require official transcripts from all institutions attended. The UW System application states:

"List all institutions of higher education currently or previously attended, both U.S. and foreign (even if you withdrew). Include name of college for courses taken in high school, colleges, universities, online campuses, technical colleges, the institution you are currently attending, extension programs, etc., and any degree(s) earned."

Failure to list all institutions may result in disciplinary action, a recision of admission, and/or invalidation of credits or degrees earned.

If you officially withdrew from an institution prior to earning credit, proof of withdrawal is required.

Please mail your transcripts to: 

   Office of Admissions
   University of Wisconsin-Stout
   212 Sorensen Hall
   Menomonie, WI 54751

Can I fax my college transcripts to you?

Sorry, we do not accept faxed college transcripts.

Please mail your transcripts to: 

   Office of Admissions
   University of Wisconsin-Stout
   212 Sorensen Hall
   Menomonie, WI 54751

Will you accept a PDF of my college transcripts?

If the school you are currently attending or previously attended uses an electronic transcript service for sending transcripts, we do accept PDFs directly from that service. We cannot accept a PDF sent to you (the student) that you then forward to us (UW-Stout). 

How do I transfer my FAFSA awards to UW-Stout?

To be considered for financial assistance at UW-Stout, you must add UW-Stout’s financial aid code (003915) to your FAFSA.

Be sure to tell your other school that you will not be attending the following term so they cancel any financial aid you have pending.

Does my GPA transfer?

No, your GPA does not transfer. However, to be considered for "Graduating with Honors" from UW-Stout, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 must have been earned in all credits completed at UW-Stout and additional credits accepted at UW-Stout, as indicated on your transcript and degree audit, from all previous institutions attended.

I’m accepted! Now what?

Congratulations! After being accepted, you will receive an e-mail informing you that your transfer credit report is complete and how to access it. For summer or fall admits, this will be sent to you in February; for spring admits, it will be in October. We will also connect you with an adviser who will assist with the registration process. 

Read through our Transfer Enrollment Checklist for important dates and deadlines. The Advisement Center also has some Transfer Transition Steps that will make sure you're fully ready to attend UW-Stout.

There are no negative implications if you register for and then decide not to attend UW-Stout. We do not require a monetary deposit of any kind. If you register for classes and then decide not to attend, you only need let us know in writing so we can inactivate your record and withdraw you from your courses.